Our mission is to honor the boogie woogie piano artistry of Albert Ammons, Pete Johnson, and Meade Lux Lewis.
Sept 23, 1907 to
Dec 2, 1949
- Boogie Woogie Stomp
- Monday Struggle
- Shout for Joy
March 24, 1904 to
March 23, 1967
- Roll 'em Pete
- Dive Bomber
- Blues on the Downbeat
Meade Lux Lewis
Sept 4 or 13, 1905 to
June 7, 1964
- Honky Tonk Train
- Lux's Boogie
- Yancey Special
We do this by:
- Educating the public with informative, high quality, free articles available at this website, featuring the following authors and interviewees (in alphabetical order): Charlie Booty, Colin Davey, Michael Hortig, Marge Johnson, Paul Martin, Jay McShann, Konrad Nowakowski, Jim Prohaska, William Russell and Axel Zwingenberger.
- Publishing Learn Boogie Woogie Piano, the Artistry of Albert Ammons, Pete Johnson, and Meade Lux Lewis by Colin Davey and Frank Poloney and boogie woogie sheet music.
Read what today's boogie woogie experts have said about Learn Boogie Woogie Piano (in alphabetical order):
"...a very practical book, using the approach that I imagine the founders of the blues piano style probably used as they taught one another how to play boogie woogie... I congratulate you on a fine teaching manual."
- Aaron Blumenfeld, author of The Blues, Boogie and Barrelhouse Piano Workbook and How to Play Blues and Boogie Piano Styles
"Learn Boogie Woogie Piano will drop-kick you into playing this vital eight-to-the-bar piano blues music better than anything else I can think of. The basic forms, structures, and licks of the great boogie woogie practitioners are presented in a concise, easy-to-follow way guaranteed to get you playing with steam-drill power and confidence in short order... a must for all piano playing boogie woogie enthusiasts looking for a road map and a guide to the territory."
- Jeff Gutcheon, composer, arranger, pianist and author of Improvising Rock Piano
"If boogie woogie is back (and I think it never really went away), this is the book to study. Messrs. Davey and Poloney know the genre in all its exciting styles."
- Dick Hyman, pianist, composer, and artist in Dick Hyman's Century of Jazz Piano on CD-ROM
"Well thought out, and carefully presented."
- Eric Kriss, author of Six Blues Roots Pianists and Barrelhouse and Boogie Piano
"A great job! ...A wonderful job! You did your homework. You told the truth in there."
- Jay McShann, jazz, boogie woogie, and blues grandmaster
"This has it all. Anybody interested in the boogie woogie style can find it here."
- Max Morath, The Ragtime Man, performer and creator of the one man show A Ragtime Life
"This is the book to have. There's no better place to start. For the first time ever, a book containing accurately transcribed phrases of the playing of the Boogie Woogie Trio. I certainly wish I had this 40 years ago!"
- Christopher I. Page, author of Boogie Woogie Stomp, Albert Ammons & his Music
"A fine analysis of the boogie woogie form, plus musical devices that help create the excitement of the music. Put aside a weekend with this book. Once you open it, you can't stop!"
- Bob Seeley, internationally renowned boogie woogie performer, and personal friend of Meade Lux Lewis
"The authors of Learn Boogie Woogie Piano are to be congratulated on writing a piano tutor that will plug a significant gap for both beginning and experienced pianists who wish to become proficient in the style."
- Peter J. Silvester, author of A Left Hand Like God, A History of Boogie-Woogie Piano
"Here is a real boogie woogie primer, a no-nonsense, clearly written and well-organized guide that gets you playing right away."
- Butch Thompson, jazz pianist, clarinetist and historian
"Congratulations, this book contains very useful instructions for the basics of the Boogie Woogie piano style, namely of the Ammons/Lewis/Johnson variety."
- Axel Zwingenberger, leading boogie woogie performer and authority