Our mission is to honor the boogie woogie piano artistry of Albert Ammons, Pete Johnson, and Meade Lux Lewis.
Sept 23, 1907 to
Dec 2, 1949
- Boogie Woogie Stomp
- Monday Struggle
- Shout for Joy
March 24, 1904 to
March 23, 1967
- Roll 'em Pete
- Dive Bomber
- Blues on the Downbeat
Meade Lux Lewis
Sept 4 or 13, 1905 to
June 7, 1964
- Honky Tonk Train
- Lux's Boogie
- Yancey Special
We do this by:
- Educating the public with informative, high quality, free articles available at this website, featuring the following authors and interviewees (in alphabetical order): Charlie Booty, Colin Davey, Michael Hortig, Marge Johnson, Paul Martin, Jay McShann, Konrad Nowakowski, Jim Prohaska, William Russell and Axel Zwingenberger.
- Publishing Learn Boogie Woogie Piano, the Artistry of Albert Ammons, Pete Johnson, and Meade Lux Lewis by Colin Davey and Frank Poloney and boogie woogie sheet music .
Read what today's boogie woogie experts have said about Learn Boogie Woogie Piano (in alphabetical order):
"...a very practical book, using the approach that I imagine the founders of the blues piano style probably used as they taught one another how to play boogie woogie... I congratulate you on a fine teaching manual."
- Aaron Blumenfeld, author of The Blues, Boogie and Barrelhouse Piano Workbook and How to Play Blues and Boogie Piano Styles
"Learn Boogie Woogie Piano will drop-kick you into playing this vital eight-to-the-bar piano blues music better than anything else I can think of. The basic forms, structures, and licks of the great boogie woogie practitioners are presented in a concise, easy-to-follow way guaranteed to get you playing with steam-drill power and confidence in short order... a must for all piano playing boogie woogie enthusiasts looking for a road map and a guide to the territory."
- Jeff Gutcheon, composer, arranger, pianist and author of Improvising Rock Piano
"If boogie woogie is back (and I think it never really went away), this is the book to study. Messrs. Davey and Poloney know the genre in all its exciting styles."
- Dick Hyman, pianist, composer, and artist in Dick Hyman's Century of Jazz Piano on CD-ROM
"Well thought out, and carefully presented."
- Eric Kriss, author of Six Blues Roots Pianists and Barrelhouse and Boogie Piano
"A great job! ...A wonderful job! You did your homework. You told the truth in there."
- Jay McShann, jazz, boogie woogie, and blues grandmaster
"This has it all. Anybody interested in the boogie woogie style can find it here."
- Max Morath, The Ragtime Man, performer and creator of the one man show A Ragtime Life
"This is the book to have. There's no better place to start. For the first time ever, a book containing accurately transcribed phrases of the playing of the Boogie Woogie Trio. I certainly wish I had this 40 years ago!"
- Christopher I. Page, author of Boogie Woogie Stomp, Albert Ammons & his Music
"A fine analysis of the boogie woogie form, plus musical devices that help create the excitement of the music. Put aside a weekend with this book. Once you open it, you can't stop!"
- Bob Seeley, internationally renowned boogie woogie performer, and personal friend of Meade Lux Lewis
"The authors of Learn Boogie Woogie Piano are to be congratulated on writing a piano tutor that will plug a significant gap for both beginning and experienced pianists who wish to become proficient in the style."
- Peter J. Silvester, author of A Left Hand Like God, A History of Boogie-Woogie Piano
"Here is a real boogie woogie primer, a no-nonsense, clearly written and well-organized guide that gets you playing right away."
- Butch Thompson, jazz pianist, clarinetist and historian
"Congratulations, this book contains very useful instructions for the basics of the Boogie Woogie piano style, namely of the Ammons/Lewis/Johnson variety."
- Axel Zwingenberger, leading boogie woogie performer and authority